With the support of Innovate NYC Schools, educators and startups gain a new understanding of each others’ work.
Educators learn about products that can help them solve real challenges. And edtech professionals learn how to support the education community.
We think when startups partner with educators, the best edtech tools are created.
School Choice Design Challenge
Every year, nearly 80,000 eighth-grade students apply to New York City’s 400 high schools. This process can be pretty grueling, but luckily it’s about to get a lot easier--thanks to iZone’s School Choice Design Competition (SCDC).
Having choice is great; making the selection is not. Guidance CounselorOther apps developed as part of the contest allowed students to:
- Create their own avatars,
- Search for all schools on a particular subway line,
- Share lists of preferred schools with friends that can be worked on collaboratively,
- Attend live-streamed webinars with high school staff, and
- Use a "recommendation engine" that asks a series of questions and provides a list of "friendly suggestions" based on responses.
TimelineThe SCDC launched on September 17, 2013 and concluded November 12, 2013 with a public demo night.
Gap App Challenge
TimelineThe Gap App Challenge launched on January 7, 2013 and concluded May 28, 2013 with a press conference announcing the winners.
TimelineSubmissions were due July 12th. Learn more by visiting the BigApps website.
- Saturday May 31st CityCamp & National Day of Civic Hacking. We’ll have experts from across city agencies demo + Q&A on education data
- Thursday June 5th 'Appy Hour Manhattan We invite the whole BigApps community to get better acquainted and break the ice before we build.
- Saturday Jun 7th BigBuild Manhattan Drill down on your product's purpose, code, and design. Come tinker with Google Glass enthusiasts, recruit new teammates, get inspired by Hardware Experts, and visit the BigApps Mentor Station to tap into the expertise of the sharpest minds in tech.
- Thursday June 19th 'Appy Hour Queens: Getting to Beta Form teams, share ideas, and mingle with BigIdea partners and other sponsors
- Saturday June 21st BigBuild Queens: Perfecting Your Product You know the drill: build, test, repeat.
- Saturday July 19th - Product Showcase The first-ever BigApps Product Showcase is where we introduce BigApps to the world.